Technology, Ignorance, and Photoshop

by Charles ~ January 22nd, 2010. Filed under: campbell, image, internet, photoshop, Student Posts, technology, Uncategorized.

cityscape copy

The readings and Gardner Campbell’s talk got me thinking about a few different topics related to technology and using it. First, I liked the idea of a “cyber presence,” and that it’s “not linear.”  The visual of your life on the internet as more like a cityscape got me, and I decided to make a graphic to illustrate the major sources of information for me on the internet.  I made the biggest building into Gmail because that is my largest point of interest – communication through e-mail.  By contrast, I made my UMW mail a tiny blip on the radar in the back because I hate it so much.

I looked at roads as how to get places, and for me, that primary hub is Digg.  For other people it may be CNN or Reddit or Popurls.  I made Twitter a smaller road on the site, because although it is a place to get information, I mostly look at it as another hub to go to external sites.

I thought about how this could be different for other people. My dad, for instance, would probably use his e-mail (Yahoo!) as a road, because it he is not always signed in.  His major source of information might be e-mail forwards, this making e-mail double as a road and a building.

But, back to the talk.

I also liked how Gardner said that people think “mystification lets you off the hook,” in the way that we talked about in class yesterday.  When people ask me to make flyers in Photoshop or Illustrator, they sometimes say “wow, awesome.  I’m so bad with computers.”  But, really, I was once bad with computers, too.  I am not some genius who was born with a computer in my room naming my stuffed animals RGB and CMYK.  Instead, I started playing with Photoshop when I joined my high school newspaper, then I just learned tricks from messing with the program.  I’m awful at drawing and art, but I can fake it pretty well by knowing how to use programs.  I’m completely self-taught, leaving a lot of room for missing elements within Adobe.  And, at first I was certainly mystified by it.  But, I spent many, many hours through my junior and senior years in high school sitting in my old Toshiba Satellite (RIP, Clarence) driving in into the ground from having Firefox, iTunes, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign open at the same time pretty much all the time.  Ignorance is no excuse for not being able to work something.  Instead, you have to learn to use the tools that you have access to.