Technology: not just "stuff"

by shiningfireflies ~ January 21st, 2010. Filed under: Blogs, Student Posts.

Listening to Gardner Campbell talk really got me thinking about computers and just how much I use them. I spend a lot of my free time on the computer (mostly on the internet), and it got me thinking: what would my life be like without the internet?  It’s hard to even think about how much my life would be different without computers and the internet. I grew up around the internet, so it’s as much part of my life as anything else. Each day the internet affects my life in a different way. Would I still be the same person if I hadn’t grown up with computers and the internet? Gardner Campbell also made sure to emphasize that technology is not just “stuff”. I agree with him. To me, the internet and my computer is not just “stuff”, but rather an important part of my life.

Another thing that Gardner Campbell said that really stuck out to me is the quote: “The computer is an instrument whose music is ideas”. I used to play the trumpet, so music is also a big part of my life, and relating the computer to an instrument really puts it into words that I can understand easily. It really makes computers seem more like tools for creativity rather than just “stuff”.