Reflections on Gardner Campbell

by Emily Roberts ~ January 19th, 2010. Filed under: digital storytelling, Student Posts.

No Digital Facelifts emphasizes the role of the internet and networking and the personal cyber infrastructure in education. I agree on most fronts. My education has been purely transactional, I haven’t been encouraged to be creative or taught to be creative. That hasn’t stopped me from being creative, but it’s kept me from enjoying school.

Digital identity is an important topic to me. I am a person who lives mostly on the internet. I have a facebook which I check all too regularly. I’ve been a regular contributing member of a forum for two years, I greatly enjoy the community there and have made some excellent friends. “The connection between a personal cyber infrastructure and creativity and the realization of self in communication with others is VERY strong, and CRUCIAL.” I agree, and I’m very pleased to have a domain of my own.
I definitely agree about importance of identity markers, mentioned in No Digital Facelifts. It is impossible to feel like an individual on the internet without them. I feel much more like an individual interacting with people on the internet from my persona there than I do interacting on Blackboard with people I have actually met.

The theme of creativity occurs in both lectures. When Campbell spoke to our class he introduced a quote of Kay’s: “A computer is an instrument whose music is ideas.” He emphasized the fact that technology is not stuff. It’s not ipods or cell phones. It is a means for living. And people don’t understand that, and it is “crucial that we explore and understand how networks or communication work and constitute the self.”

I noticed that Campbell also mentions in both lectures that language is a technology. In Digital Facelifts it’s that the alphabet is as much a disruptive technology as the printing press, and then later mentions that the definition of cyber infrastructure could certainly be used to describe an alphabet. And he did rage to us about language being technology that occurred before the babyboomers, when that video claimed otherwise.

I really enjoyed both of these lectures, Gardner Campbell is a great and engaging speaker.