Reflection on Gardner Campbell’s Lecture

by Gaillarkin ~ January 19th, 2010. Filed under: Reflections for Digital Storytelling, Student Posts.

When Gardner Campbell began his lecture last Thursday with a quote from Kay, I was suddenly very interested with what he had to say.  Gardner said, “A computer is an instrument whose music is ideas.”

Growing up with music my entire life has led me to understand the value of creativity.  I was always the type of musician that can read and play music very readily, but completely blanks when given the opportunity to create a piece from my own design.  I have never found myself to be a creative person, but when I purchased my MacBook Pro at the end of my senior year in high school, I was aching to figure out every possible thing I could do with it.  I would go to Google and discover different small commands to make things run smoother and easier with my computer.  I would have my friends who have Macs show me tricks of the trade to help me feel more computer-savvy.  I would do everything in my power to learn more and more about my computer and what I was able to do with it.

I have always loved taking pictures and videos.  Last spring, I won a video camera in a raffle at school, and I became obsessed with filming everything.  My computer has a program called iMovie, in which I can design my own movies with clips from my film.  It’s honestly one of the most fun things to do.  I love remembering great times and replaying them over and over again!

For me, my computer and the advanced technology that comes with it really are my greatest tools.  I can easily communicate with friends online, I can design photos and videos using special programs, and I can do it all while listening to my favourite music.  I am fascinated by what technology makes easier for us and I cannot wait to see it to continue to develop over time.