Assignment for Tuesday, 3/30

by Reverend ~ March 24th, 2010. Filed under: assignments.

As discussed in class last night, by Tuesday, March 30th you will be creating a Digital Story using Google Street View and Jing, or any other screencasting tool you want and have access to. Follow the previous links to either tool for a run down on how they work and any questions you have about them please bring to class on Thursday, March 25th.

For some examples you can see my own neighborhood screencast here about where I grew up in Long Island.

Or Luke Waltzer’s example, upon which mine is based, that narrates a look at his hometown outside of Detroit, Michigan. Great stuff!!!

The assignment is relatively straightforward, use Jing to take a screencast of a street view on Google Maps of a story that happened at a particular place. Be sure to navigate around the place, this should not be a static map view—so find a story with some movement and dynamism.This can be your neighborhood, a trip to a major city, a vacation abroad, at UMW, etc. Keep in mind that if you are concerned about privacy about where you live you may not want to choose a story that focuses on your neighborhood or hometown.

This story will be posted to your blog prior to class on Tuesday, and we will look at the results then. Keep in mind you will have to get access to a computer with a microphone before Tuesday if you do not have one now—I can help with this if you need it. Additionally, I will not impose a time limit on the project—although if it is 30 seconds long we will have issues—but keep in mind your screencasts through Jing can not be longer than 5 minutes. So if you need to do a story longer than that you can make more than one video, or let me know and I can hook you up with a computer that has Camtasia installed.

4 Responses to Assignment for Tuesday, 3/30

1. colin

Prof,
    I have finished the video and i think it looks good, however, it is 180mb and i am having a lot of trouble uploading it. I am trying to go through screencast, but its taking way to long and i think it would kill my blog. Any ideas?

2. Reverend

Colin,
    Can you put it on YouTube? What is the file extension?

3. colin

its an swf file, and i have tried downloading a bunch of converters, but all i can get is my audio voiceover without video as an mp4. and on jing, it says you have to have jing pro to upload it to youtube.

4. Reverend

How long is the file? More than 5 minutes? Will Jing let you upload it to their servers? or are they saying it is too big. Your other option is to upload it through your CPanel File manager to public_html, and then link it from a post. SWF files will automatically play in the browser. Maybe we should try that.